PDA

View Full Version : Article: Beyond the Ninja Turtles by "The Mirror"

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb System
10-17-2006, 09:13 AM
Discuss the article, "Beyond the Ninja Turtles" by "The Mirror" here.

Article URL: http://www.aikiweb.com/columns/themirror/2006_10.html

James Davis
10-17-2006, 09:52 AM
Nice. :) This article's a good reminder of the fact that everybody in the dojo is there for different reasons, and need to find their own reasons for staying. At times, it can be frustrating for an instructor who's eager to pass on the knowledge when so many people quit out of frustration. We sempai can't force them to stay, but we can make it apparent that we are available for help. :)

ian
10-18-2006, 06:19 AM
Yeh, I think many people expect a martial art to make them unbeatable. In reality, at best it can only make you less beatable.

Also, I think much of what people do get is from direct one-to-one instruction or help from their collegues; even if this is done physically and not verbally.

Dazzler
10-18-2006, 06:30 AM
Very nice.

Aikido may not be the ultimate in arts when it comes to destroying others.

But its very good in building oneself.

D

Susan Dalton
10-20-2006, 01:00 PM
Nice. :) This article's a good reminder of the fact that everybody in the dojo is there for different reasons,:)
I used to daydream about taking a few months of class and suddenly possessing superhuman powers, but after 16 years I have a more realistic view. Undoubtedly I am more equipped to defend myself if I'm physically attacked, but since that has never happened, I can't be sure. I do know I've enjoyed my time on the mat with my son and all my friends in aikido.
Susan

Susan Dalton
10-20-2006, 01:03 PM
Yeh, I think many people expect a martial art to make them unbeatable. In reality, at best it can only make you less beatable.
Or maybe it can give you insight into all the reasons you thought you needed to fight.
Susan

Susan Dalton
10-20-2006, 01:06 PM
Very nice.D

Thank you.
Susan

dps
10-20-2006, 11:46 PM
Aikido may not be the ultimate in arts when it comes to destroying others.
But its very good in building oneself.

Daren,
I like this very much. May I use it as my signature?

David

RoyK
10-21-2006, 07:51 AM
Wow, I really enjoyed reading the article, not only due to the fact that it was so well written and felt like a fresh breeze, but it reflects what I feel when I do aikido and the reasons I work hard to do it, and how I wish people I care about would find something in their lives to make them feel the same way.

I wish my mom knew Ikkyo.

Susan Dalton
10-28-2006, 05:54 AM
I wish my mom knew Ikkyo.

:) Thanks, Roy. I'm glad you liked this article. Sometimes it's difficult to do aikido with the people you're closest to because you have to keep all the "junk" off the mat. That can be almost impossible, but worth it, in my opinion.
Susan

Tony Levi
03-08-2008, 09:42 AM
wow Susan i had a rather similar experience recently- my wife's son from her first marriage is taking aikido and he came up to me several weeks ago and told me that i will enjoy it very much because it is mirroring my point of view in terms of balance, nature and life itself. hearing this from a kid was astonishing, so i gave it go and loving it ever since :D

Susan Dalton
02-19-2009, 01:35 PM
wow Susan i had a rather similar experience recently- my wife's son from her first marriage is taking aikido and he came up to me several weeks ago and told me that i will enjoy it very much because it is mirroring my point of view in terms of balance, nature and life itself. hearing this from a kid was astonishing, so i gave it go and loving it ever since :D

That's great, Tony. I wish you many happy years of practice together.
Susan