PDA

View Full Version : Hello, everyone

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Purple
10-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Hi. When I registered, it was suggested I come here and introduce myself to everyone. Seems like a polite thing to do.

My name's Brent Oliver, but everyone calls me Purple due to the massive purple mohawk I sported in college. Granted, that was fourteen years ago, and most of the people I know didn't know me then, but it stuck.

I live in Lexington, KY, and train in the neighboring town of Winchester. My dojo is Bluegrass Budokai. I trained with my sensei for a year, then quit for three. I've just recently gotten reinvolved with aikido, and judo as well. We train in very practical aiki, very applicable to street-level situations. In judo, too, we're concerned with defense and not sport or competition.

I'm a practicing Zen Buddhist, and the philosophy of aikido meshes well with that. I considered many other martial arts: karate-do, shaolin, kempo, juijutsu, but none of them seemed to offer the self-awareness and compassion found in aikido.

I'm sure you'll see me around. I don't really hang out with any of the folks I train with and none of my friends are into it. I'm always interested in other people's experiences with aikido, though, and I'll probably ask a lot of questions.

There you have it. See you later.

Purple

akiy
10-13-2006, 11:26 AM
Hi Brent,

Welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

RoyK
10-15-2006, 10:51 AM
Hi Brent, in what way are you training different to make it more applicable for street level situations?

I'm asking out of curiosity :) thanks

Stellaluna
10-16-2006, 06:48 AM
Hello Brent,
Welcome Home ;)
I was a practicing Nichiren Buddhist for a several years but fell out of it. Now that I am studying Aikido I am missing that 'mind/body' connection and have been considering getting back into it. How long have you been practicing Zen? Have you done any study of Shinto?
Thanks for sharing!
Gina