PDA

View Full Version : College student looking for a new path

Please visit our sponsor:

Eric Cook
09-07-2006, 06:23 PM
Hello to all of you. I'm Eric, a 19-year-old college student at the University of Iowa. My area of study is computer science. I enjoy playing guitar, playing video games, listening to music, swimming, etc.

Over the summer I began searching for a martial art to practice, hoping to keep myself physically fit. However, I didn't want to learn an art that was good only for hurting people. I looked at Tae Kwon Do, Capoeira, Hapkido, and Jujutsu, but nothing seemed to fit. Then I found Aikido.

I attended the fall demonstration for the club and any doubts I had at the time were erased. It seemed that through training in Aikido and understanding its principles I could start to fill in some of the gaps in my life. The first couple of lessons have been tough, but I enjoy every minute of them. I'm not expecting immediate results either. I'm in this for the long run.

Thanks for listening to my boring story. Hope to see you around.

akiy
09-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Hi Eric,

Welcome to AikiWeb and thank you for your introduction.

-- Jun

statisticool
09-07-2006, 09:10 PM
What's up Eric!

Justin

Ron Tisdale
09-08-2006, 08:13 AM
You should enjoy the training a UoI. I believe the club there is run under a student of Abe Sensei. Welcome to the board.

Best,
Ron

Larry Cuvin
09-08-2006, 09:11 AM
Hey Eric,
I wish I was lucky as you and found Aikido at a younger age. Good luck on your training and just relax. Welcome aboard.

Plus Ki,
Larry

James Davis
09-08-2006, 09:33 AM
Good to have you aboard. :)

Eric Cook
09-08-2006, 04:47 PM
:D

I'm glad so many of you replied. Thanks!

Ron, are you referring to Diana Harris sensei? Abe sensei did a seminar here in 2005, so it's quite possible that she or one of the other instructors is a former student, but I'm not sure who.

Shipley
09-08-2006, 05:11 PM
Welcome Eric. I started in a university club as well, and it has been a very happy road for many years. Good luck with your training,

Paul

Setka
09-11-2006, 03:14 AM
Welcome and yup! University Rulez!
BTW. love your siggie :D

Ron Tisdale
09-11-2006, 05:11 AM
I can't remember the gentleman's name, but it was a male student. The 2005 seminar is the one I attended.

Best,
Ron

ian
09-11-2006, 05:35 AM
Great stuff Eric. However I would also say that striking IS a part of aikido, and the more experience I have the more I realise the similarities rather than the differences between all martial arts (at least at higher levels). However, I think the training method in aikido is fantastic.

Ian

Eric Cook
09-12-2006, 01:57 AM
Welcome and yup! University Rulez!
BTW. love your siggie :D
Heh, thanks.