PDA

View Full Version : Fighting a Grizzly Bear

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Boontom
09-05-2006, 01:19 PM
I was talking to a friend of mine who told me this hilarious story about a Tae kwon Do instructor at a camp. He was walking through the forest on a nature walk with a bunch of teens and this grizzly bear came at them and there was no where to go because they were up against a rock face. The Tae Kwon Do instructor stepped forward and every time the bear tried to bite, claw or attack him in any way, he would move quick enough to dodge and hit the bear in the face. He did it enough times that the bear got scared and ran off. I know this isn't Aikido humor, but it's funny martial arts humor.

markwalsh
09-05-2006, 03:44 PM
Thereīs a video on you-tube where a guys fights a bear - part of a bigger karate bit - seems serious? Canīt find it now. Anyone?

gdandscompserv
09-05-2006, 04:54 PM
Here's one. (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=757436334538378928&q=karate+bear&hl=en)

aikidoc
09-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Nice spinning back kick by the bear:)

Yann Golanski
09-06-2006, 01:43 AM
Black bear vs senior Japanese guy picking mushrooms = old guy win by judo throw. Bear leaves. YOur dog wants to learn judo.

wayneth
09-06-2006, 02:21 AM
wasn't either Mas Oyama or one of his senior students famous for fighting a bear?

Dazzler
09-06-2006, 06:24 AM
I heard it was Davie Crockett!

And he was only 3 !!!

Dirk Hanss
09-06-2006, 07:00 AM
I heard it was Davie Crockett!

And he was only 3 !!!

I am sure about Old Shatterhand (Karl May). He was somewhat older and he had a knife, when he killed his first grizzly.

You must know him. He wrote in his books that he was a blood brother of Winnetou, the greatest Apache chief, the world has ever seen.

For our Arab friends, you should know him as Kara Ben Nemsi as he travelled through nearly all Arabic areas with his friend "Hachi Halef Omar ben Hachi Abul Abbas Ibn hachi Dawud Al Gossarah".

Cheers Dirk

markwalsh
09-06-2006, 02:37 PM
Mas was bulls I think.

Whatīs the ethics of this?

Ron Tisdale
09-06-2006, 02:43 PM
If the bear wins...none... ;)

B,
R

ChristianBoddum
09-06-2006, 03:01 PM
There is a story of O'sensei facing a bear , and the two end up sharing O'senseis' lunch. :)

It is probably from his Hokkaido period.

Someone here might know about it.

Dazzler
09-07-2006, 03:05 AM
I am sure about Old Shatterhand (Karl May). He was somewhat older and he had a knife, when he killed his first grizzly.

You must know him. He wrote in his books that he was a blood brother of Winnetou, the greatest Apache chief, the world has ever seen.

Definitely Davey Crockett...apparently the bear was mesmerised by his odd physical appearance.

He has a wild front ear!

Lee Mulgrew
09-08-2006, 04:46 AM
it must have looked like spocks final front ear!

But really, has anyone ever seen any footage of people fightinng bears? I cannot see us coming out on top no matter how good the person is! (with the obvious exception of O'sensei himself)

wayneth
09-08-2006, 09:30 AM
I'm pretty sure there is film footage (black and white) of one of Mas Oyama students fighting a bear.
Wayne

wayneth
09-08-2006, 09:48 AM
http://www.superkarate.ru/video_kyokushin/man_vs_bear_video_clips.htm
There is the link for it, the man is called Willie Williams.
Wayne

Don_Modesto
09-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Wayne
I always found this laughable. Now, no doubt, Mr. Williams'd kick my sorry butt.

But he not only didn't beat the bear, he not only didn't dominate the bear--he didn't even piss off the bear.

Why would he show this video? It's embarrassing.

wayneth
09-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Maybe for the fame, like the bear is classed as a killer. If he went up against it he will get attention from the media. This is just a guess, I am sure I am far from the real truth.

Didn't Sonny Chiba portray Mas Oyama in one of his films called The Bear Fighter? If this is so, is it true? Because I now Oyama Sensei is famed for his fighting against 50 odd bulls.
Wayne

Basia Halliop
09-08-2006, 12:13 PM
But really, has anyone ever seen any footage of people fightinng bears? I cannot see us coming out on top no matter how good the person is! (with the obvious exception of O'sensei himself)

Not footage, just wilderness/camping education information targetted to Ontario campers and hikers... apparently if you get attacked by a black bear (I think grizzlies are more aggressive, but we don't have them here) you're supposed to fight as hard as you can, and they may decide to leave and go for easier prey rather than risk injury to themselves. I recall seeing newpaper reports or park newsletters where people managed to fend off an attacking bear with vigorous application of a canoe paddle.

So apparently if the bear is less desperate than you you may actually have a chance, maybe not of 'defeating' them exactly, but of getting them to give up and go away.

Of course usually black bears aren't actually aggressive towards humans, but they do occasionally attack and kill people.

Kevin Wilbanks
09-08-2006, 05:07 PM
So apparently if the bear is less desperate than you you may actually have a chance, maybe not of 'defeating' them exactly, but of getting them to give up and go away.

I think this is the case if you are attacked by any predatory animal roughly your size or larger. You probably don't have a prayer of dominating or killing it without a weapon, but noisy, aggressive resistance/attack on your part might cause it to reconsider bothering with you. Predators are generally looking for prey, not a fair fight, so not acting like prey is sometimes considered a good strategy.

The best idea, however, is to get educated about the peculiarities of local species. I've heard with grizzly bears that it differs completely depending upon the circumstance. If it is a female with cubs, you are supposed to get away - maybe even run away. If it is a young male looking for trouble or a hungry bear, you are supposed to hold your ground and try to intimidate them - retreating or running away at all is the most likely way to provoke attack.

Personally, I'm hoping someone will hurry up with the cloning technology and bring back Pterydactyls. Humans could use some humility.

Lee Mulgrew
09-20-2006, 03:51 AM
Wayne

this video is sick and cruel. the bear was obviously not being aggressive towards him (it did not not even really strike at him .... and he still could not put it down!). The bear was trained to behave that way thus making it a tame bear that was well trained. if a bear of any type decides to attack a human it does not stand up on it's hind legs and "box" it rips you apart as fast as it can on all fours with teeth and everything! To pick on a bear that is forced to stand there and take and stil lose is just pitiful!!

dps
09-20-2006, 04:26 AM
Willie must of shared his lunch with the bear. If the bear had been hungry, Willie would have been lunch.