PDA

View Full Version : Ummm...

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Jess McDonald
08-18-2006, 05:22 PM
Is it me or is two days a week entirely not enough???

graham
08-18-2006, 05:24 PM
No, no, no! I couldn't agree more.

In fact, about 75% of the time I only get to go once at week. That just feels almost as bad as not going at all.

And then those times when I have got a fairly free week, twice a week just feels like a tease.

sullivanw
08-18-2006, 05:27 PM
Three is the minimum for me, but I think five is optimum with enough days to keep my head in the game and at the same time allow for my body to heal up and rest.

-Will

Jess McDonald
08-18-2006, 05:38 PM
5 DAYS!!! That would rock!!! stupid work, stupid landlords. THAT'S IT!!! I'll just get rid of all the landlords and then I can train all day long everyday for the rest OF MY LIFE!! uhhh... sorry about that :blush:

markwalsh
08-18-2006, 05:44 PM
Zoolander voice: "There's seven days in a week Jess - doh!"

Seriously - Most beginners find keiko 3 times a week optimal.

Brad Pruitt
08-19-2006, 12:03 AM
I train 4 classes a week and when I get spare time I can do 7 classes not including the childrens class I lead twice a week. I have decided to make it a priority in my life. I do believe it is a descision and once you make it it's easy but until then you sit and struggle. The positive aspects it brings to my life way out-weigh any negatives from training so much. I think beginners should train 3 to 4 times a week. My opinion as i believe it helped me.

Roman Kremianski
08-19-2006, 12:36 AM
So you're all saying I shouldn't be at it 7 days a week?

Well it's too late to stop now. :(

Amelia Smith
08-19-2006, 08:27 AM
3-5 times a week works well for me. Twice a week, I don't feel like I'm really practicing. 6 days a week can be OK sometimes, but I don't think it gives my body enough time to rest and recover... but it depends on the intensity of the training. Sometimes, with light trainging and/or spending a lot of time with new beginners, 6 times a week is perfectly do-able, and even 7 days a week is possible.

So no, 2 times a week really isn't enough, if you want to progress.

chris w
08-19-2006, 11:38 AM
So no, 2 times a week really isn't enough, if you want to progress.

i beg to differ. because i have a job, kids that play sports, a wife who works afternoons, my training is limited to two days a week. granted, i might not be able to move up in rank as quickly as someone that trains 5 days a week, but i take my time on the mat very seriously and i know that i am progressing.

daniel loughlin
08-19-2006, 11:50 AM
:D what about our teachers who do it day in day out?? :D

Lan Powers
08-19-2006, 02:57 PM
I really like 4-5 days a week. When I have the opportunity, I will do more often, in the busy season of my work (summer) I sometimes get less. 5 days is just about right tho.
Lan

RoyK
08-19-2006, 04:14 PM
If you feel twice a week isn't enough and you can't do it more often for whatever reason (me, for example, my dojo has only two classes a week that are after my work hours), you can always train by yourself, right? Foot work, hand work, rolls, jo, bokken.. There's plenty to do even without a partner or Katas. I don't know why I hardly hear of people doing that.. Didn't OSensei train allot by himself?

Jeanne Shepard
08-19-2006, 08:00 PM
personally, I burn out at more than 3 times a week.

Jeanne :p

raul rodrigo
08-19-2006, 09:03 PM
For me, twice a week only serves to keep basic skills from rusting. To make progress, I need to be on the mat 4-5 times a week. 6 is even better, but hard to make happen.

Zach Sarver
08-19-2006, 10:32 PM
I would like to do it 3 times a week(that is how many times the class is taught) but I don't have my license yet, my parents and siblings can't always drive me, and one of the classes is Friday nights and I have a girlfriend, so I am lucky to train once a week. On top of that the place we train at is getting remodeled so we won't have practice till the 26th of August, which I will have to miss because I am taking my driver's test at the time.

Brad Pruitt
08-20-2006, 06:49 PM
If you feel twice a week isn't enough and you can't do it more often for whatever reason (me, for example, my dojo has only two classes a week that are after my work hours), you can always train by yourself, right? Foot work, hand work, rolls, jo, bokken.. There's plenty to do even without a partner or Katas. I don't know why I hardly hear of people doing that.. Didn't OSensei train allot by himself?
When I first started aikido I would practice my foot work at home every day for twenty minutes or so. Now I mostly practice jo and bokken.

Upyu
08-20-2006, 07:05 PM
Didn't OSensei train allot by himself?

Funny how that works...
Ueshiba's main focus was solo training. Partner training only works out the kinks in the body skill your develop in solo training.
If you ask me, once a week should be enough if you're training correctly at home ;)

Tinyboy344
08-20-2006, 08:05 PM
I train 5 times a week and I think that's perfectly fine for me

Jess McDonald
08-20-2006, 11:53 PM
I just like to wear the uniform...it makes feel like a warrior ( I don't normally wear the gi while I train at home) :) Training at home is important but if I had more classes to go to I would just so i could don my belt. It's finally getting a little grimy; cool!! :)

MikeLogan
08-21-2006, 07:02 AM
Jess
Time to wash it, and stop dragging it tied to your bumper on the way home :D

RoyK
08-21-2006, 08:08 AM
Jess
Time to wash it, and stop dragging it tied to your bumper on the way home :D

:hypno: you're a genious! goodbye white belt, hello unearned respect!

Toothpaste
08-23-2006, 04:34 AM
I train four times a week, and I still have too much time to spare. Maybe I should get a job. ;)

Bronson
08-23-2006, 01:26 PM
The key for me was to find balance in my life. When I was training 5+ days a week Aikido wasn't a part of my life it was my life. I didn't leave time or energy for other important aspects. Now that I'm at 2 classes as student and 2 teaching per week (both on the same 2 days per week) I have the time and energy for other things too. The funny thing is my practice now is much more meaningful than before. I have time to reflect on what I'm learning and just as importantly my old, broken body has time to heal :D

For me, how I practise is more important than how often.

Bronson

Mike Hamer
08-23-2006, 01:30 PM
Im very sad to inform you all that my Dojo only has class once a week.....:(

I know, it sucks.

Starting next month they are starting an intermediate/advadnced class, but seeings as how Ive only been in it for 3 months, I wont be able to do that quite yet.

My Sensei is also a doctor, so I understand that he is very busy....but cmon....ONCE A WEEK!?

Brad Pruitt
08-23-2006, 03:42 PM
Wow, one day a week is a total tease. I'd practice at home or get together with other aikidoka on weekends.One day a week would only frustrate me but then again that could be part of your practice.

shadowedge
08-23-2006, 09:04 PM
What I wouldn't give to train more than twice a week...

Work gets in the way... you leave at 9 am and wind up home at 10 pm.... :confused:

Mike Hamer
08-23-2006, 10:59 PM
I practice the knee walking movement (?) rolls, and breakfalling, almost everyday. I invited my good friend with me to Aikido about a month or so ago.....he broke his collar bone the next day trying to show off something he hadnt really learned yet (forward roll) so meeting with other Aikidoka is a hard thing.....hopefully within a month or so he'll be able to start back up.

mickeygelum
08-23-2006, 11:11 PM
Everyday...there are so many facets of training, and not all training requires an uke...

Miku-san

Sadez
08-24-2006, 08:07 AM
I can only attend two classes a week at my Dojo. Once I get out of basics though, I'll be able to attend three. Two classes a week def. doesn't feel like enough though.

Roman Kremianski
08-24-2006, 10:38 AM
Work gets in the way... you leave at 9 am and wind up home at 10 pm....

This is possibly the greatest advantage of being 17 - making it 7 days a week and tiring out aggresive nages. :D

rachmass
01-20-2007, 08:40 PM
i beg to differ. because i have a job, kids that play sports, a wife who works afternoons, my training is limited to two days a week. granted, i might not be able to move up in rank as quickly as someone that trains 5 days a week, but i take my time on the mat very seriously and i know that i am progressing.

Damn straight Chris!

We all progress at our own pace, and sometimes more than a couple of times a week is simply not possible. I don't believe that this curtails progression, likely slows it, but doesn't stop it.

Cheers, Rachel

Princess Rose
01-20-2007, 08:51 PM
I love college because in high school I had so much HW I couldnít make it to class as much as I would have liked (maybe 4-5 days a week at best). Now, in college, I make it every dayÖ Well thatís a lie. I started this job thing this semester and I canít make Wednesday night anymore :( But on the plus side Iím saving up for my Aikido Tattoo :cool:

Chris Birke
01-20-2007, 09:01 PM
I feel like my progress is pretty stifled training 1-2 times a week - it's more to retain and polish what I have, rather than steadily improve. I usually find I spend a few months getting better, then a few months being about the same, on and off as work/dating permits.

chris w
01-20-2007, 09:19 PM
Damn straight Chris!

We all progress at our own pace, and sometimes more than a couple of times a week is simply not possible. I don't believe that this curtails progression, likely slows it, but doesn't stop it.

Cheers, Rachel

Its nice to see your name on the forums again! I hope to be able to see you in person soon as well. :D

Guilty Spark
01-21-2007, 06:32 AM
I'm saving up for my Aikido Tattoo

What are you getting done?

Eddie Heinzelman
01-21-2007, 11:06 AM
I workout at the dojo 2 days a week, but try to do 3 days as much as possible. However, I practice every day at home for a minimum of 30 minutes (longer as often as I can swing it) doing footwork, weapons, or visualizing attacks and the movement/techniques. Even if I have 15 minutes, I'll work on something. I recently found myself doing tenkans while pumping gas... :D

crbateman
01-21-2007, 02:41 PM
I recently found myself doing tenkans while pumping gas... :DI once tried this whilst taking a leak... Didn't work out too well... http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/lachen/laughing-smiley-004.gif

Princess Rose
01-23-2007, 12:45 AM
What are you getting done?

I'm going to get just
:ai:
:ki:
:do:
between my shoulder blades on spring break.

Guilty Spark
01-23-2007, 01:26 AM
Whats it stand for?

Princess Rose
01-24-2007, 12:02 AM
Is that a trick question?

Guilty Spark
01-24-2007, 01:54 AM
No.
I can't read japanese, at a guess I would think it means aikido or atleast be aikido related?
Wasn't 100% sure though

My most recent one
http://guiltyspark.zoints.com/image/39509-MasakatsuAgatsu
The first AND last tattoo I'll get on my ribs :)

Peter Savill
01-24-2007, 04:31 AM
As in all things there is a balance to be struck between all the various aspects of our life that compete for our time. I have only recently [6mths] been training and managing just once a week until I injured my right knee and now I have been out of training for the best part of 2 mths [very depressing].

For me once a week fits with my working patterns and family + other interests but I would hope to attend twice a week ultimately. There are folk at my dojo who train 4-5x/wk and it can be tough to see others progressing at a faster rate and to feel that I am letting sensei down by my constant inability to execute a decent forward roll!

I try to concentrate on what I am doing and to get a little better each time I go [I hope]. Every week I take away something new and I now try to practice at home most days at least going through the kihon dosa and stretching etc to try an improve my flexibility [I certainly feel like a plank of wood compared to some of the folk I train with!].

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Best wishes

Peter