PDA

View Full Version : Bush is ...

Pages : 1 [2]

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

James Davis
10-18-2006, 03:49 PM
And, I'm betting that you AREN'T A-A, that you DIDN'T move into a neighborhood that IS primarily A-A, and that your name DIDN"T appear on the felon "caging list" in 2000, when the Republican Party stole the election in Florida, also in 2000.The last time that I moved was, in fact, to a predominantly African American neighborhood. I registered. I voted. I can't speak for everybody on my block, but I do know that my immediate neighbors didn't bother to do either of these things.

As Grant has pointed out: the US decides the fate of Canada...so why not a little reciprocity? It only seems fair.
Great! Where do I go to register to vote for Canada's president?

You mean the SS motto should be: "Spend now, for tomorrow, we die?" :crazy:
How about, "Save now, and prepare our families for when we die."?

Well, I think a far more responsible policy would be to improve the conditions that make AA life expectencies so low, rather than eviscerate SS.
Yeah. We should outlaw heart disease.

Btw, offering people a choice between private accounts and traditional Social Security is not evisceration. SS wasn't goiong to be cancelled.

Huh??? What in the Sam Hill does abortion have to do with canditate choices? :confused: :confused:
A heck of a lot. At every election. For decades.

Oh please, must we?? I thought this thread was about Bush! :confused:
You suggested a candidate. I gave my reasons for not voting for him. Other people chose to respond to my post. Nobody was injured in the process.

I don't know what it is with people and their slavish adoration of their guns; but I try to stay out of debates involving gun-control...esp when it's off-topic.
Ouch! :eek: Was that a slap on my wrist just then, or am I imagining things? :(

:)

Interestingly, I don't feel myself being led back to the topic... :confused:

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ;)

hapkidoike
10-18-2006, 05:53 PM
Hey Isaac,
I can't tell if you were just poking fun or being serious. Guessing the latter (and if not I appologize)
Why do I care? I'm a part of the human race. Wonder if that sounds too idealistic?
What goes on in the US effects the world as a whole.
Just because I'm not American doesn't mean I don't care for the well-being of my neighbours and friends to the south. I eat breakfast (including "Canadian Bacon") lunch and supper beside Canadians, Americans, Germans, British, Dutch, Croatian, Portaguese, Austrailian and Romanians (to name a few) every day ;)
Grant

Hey Grant,
Just so you know I was just bustin your chops with the Canuck crack. I do my best to bust everybodys chops equally, you know keep in the spirit of being an equal oppurtunity chops buster, but I probably do bust an disproportionate amout of Canuck chops. That is mostly because most of my friends these days are of the Canuck variety.
Also, the right to keep and bear arms (keep and arm bears?) is an amendment to the constitution. When you start talking about fooling around with the constitution I get nervous because usually the people that want to do it are extremists. And I am not down with most extremists, at least insofar as their politics are concerned.

Neil Mick
10-19-2006, 12:32 AM
The last time that I moved was, in fact, to a predominantly African American neighborhood. I registered. I voted. I can't speak for everybody on my block, but I do know that my immediate neighbors didn't bother to do either of these things.

There was (is) a big scandal, about the Florida 2000 elections, and people thrown off on "felony lists," simply for having a similar name...perhaps you've heard? :p

United States presidential election, 2000 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._presidential_election%2C_2000)

Between May 1999 and Election Day 2000, two Florida secretaries of state - Sandra Mortham and Katherine Harris, contracted with a new company (DBT), at an increase of $4.294 million dollars to have the "scrub list"'s re-worked. Nearly 1 percent of Florida's electorate and nearly 3 percent of its African-American voters - 96.000 citizens were listed as felons and removed from the voting rolls. (For instance, many had names similar to actual felons, some listed "felonies" were dated years in the future, and some apparently were random.) In some cases, those on the scrub list were given several months to appeal, and many successfully reregistered and were allowed to vote. However, most were not told that they weren't allowed to vote until they were turned away at the polls. The company was directed not to use cross-checks or its sophisticated verification plan (used by the FBI). [6]
People like Washington County Elections Chief Carol Griffen (1 p.25), have argued that Florida was in violation of the National Voter Registration Act of 1993 by requiring those convicted of felonies in other states (and subsequently restored their rights by said states), to request clemency and a restoration of their rights, from Governor Bush, in a process which might take two years and ultimately was left to Bush's discretion. One should note Schlenther v. Florida Department of State (June 1998) which ruled that Florida could not prevent a man convicted of a felony in Connecticut, where his civil rights had not been lost, from exercising his civil rights.
A full cousin of George W. Bush, John Prescott Ellis, was analyzing data from the Voter News Service for Fox News and had several times contact by telephone with both George and Jeb Bush that night. It was his decision to call Florida for Bush, with Fox being the first network to do so. However, Fox had also incorrectly called the state for Gore before the polls had closed, like the other networks, and retracted around the same time they did which was at around 10pm that evening. Fox only called the state for Bush at 2:16am, shortly after the famous Volusia error was introduced. This error took 16,022 votes away from Gore and added those votes and more to Bush, producing more total votes in the precinct than there were registered voters. The other major networks announced the same totals within minutes. The error was corrected quickly and the calls retracted one by one.
Xavier Suarez, who was ousted as mayor of Miami in 1998 on charges of absentee voter fraud, was later elected to the Executive Committee of the Miami-Dade GOP party. Suarez helped fill out absentee ballot forms and enlist Republican absentee voters in Miami-Dade County for the 2000 presidential election. “Dade County Republicans have a very specific expertise in getting out absentee ballots,” Suarez is claimed to have remarked. “I obviously have specific experience in this myself.” [7]
The "preppy riot": the manual recount in Miami-Dade County was shut down shortly after screaming protestors arrived at Miami's recount center. It turned out that these protesters were Republican Party members flown in from other states, some at Republican Party expense. [8]
However, the great irony in the election in Florida was that the automatic recount required by state law (perhaps the only undisputed aspect of the election) was never carried out in several counties.

Great! Where do I go to register to vote for Canada's president?

You already ARE registered. It's called being a "taxpayer:" and there's bad news, and good news.

The "good" news (insofar as being able to vote for Canada's election) is that the US already DOES manipulate and interfere in other elections, in other countries. Just look at Cuba, Venezuala, Haiti, Iraq, Lebanon, Mexico, Palestine...(and, that's just in the past 5 years)

The bad news, is that you're going to have to wait a long, long time to actually "get" to vote, sorry to say. But hey!

Write your Congressman: and tell 'em that you want all those misappropriated funds to go where YOU want them to go.

:p It worked for Bush...ya never know... :p

How about, "Save now, and prepare our families for when we die."?

(...and allow the indigent, and those without families, families without money, etc, to dry up and "fall thru the cracks...")

No thanks: don't like the logical end of your proposal...sounds too much like triage.

Btw, offering people a choice between private accounts and traditional Social Security is not evisceration. SS wasn't goiong to be cancelled.

Please. Dropping SS into private accounts was a pipedream, a voodoo economics spin to allow Bush's bud's to raid the SS fund.

I just hope the spectre of private accounts STAYS buried, where it belongs.

Ouch! :eek: Was that a slap on my wrist just then, or am I imagining things? :(

:)

No slap, lol. I just don't generally get into the gun-control debate.

Guilty Spark
10-19-2006, 05:16 AM
Hey Grant,
Just so you know I was just bustin your chops with the Canuck crack.

No worries mate. My sensors are all out of wack these days :)

Also, the right to keep and bear arms (keep and arm bears?) is an amendment to the constitution. When you start talking about fooling around with the constitution I get nervous because usually the people that want to do it are extremists.

I hear ya. I'm not a big fan of anyone who makes decisions based off a book written thousands of years ago- and I can think of two very fitting examples of such books.

Messing with the constitution is a pretty serious notion I know.

I just think that with changing times, so should (or perhaps could) laws change. Homosexuality, racial and gender rights.
Naturally some changes may be bad, as Neil is trying to point out in this thread, and some changes can be good.
What worked in the past may not work in the future, I dunno. Different argument :)

In any case I really wish religion wouldn't play any part in politics or how states are run.
And again on a different argument, what do you think of the star ship troopers concept (for lack of a better word) that a country can have two "classes". Civilians and citizens. Only citizens would be allowed to vote?

Neil,
No slap, lol. I just don't generally get into the gun-control debate.
If not in this thread, I'd be interested in hearing your views on gun-control sometime.

Neil Mick
10-20-2006, 02:36 AM
Neil,

If not in this thread, I'd be interested in hearing your views on gun-control sometime.

Very briefly..I'm a fence-sitter, gun control.

Steve Mullen
10-20-2006, 02:49 AM
Very briefly..I'm a fence-sitter, gun control.

Careful you dont sit on the fence too long there Neil, some folk may think you are part of the shooting range and start taking pot shots at you. If they do try and duck! :D :D

deepsoup
10-20-2006, 03:54 AM
If they do try and duck! :D :D
Nah, you wouldn't want to look like a duck, that'll just make it worse.

Neil Mick
10-20-2006, 02:35 PM
Nah, you wouldn't want to look like a duck, that'll just make it worse.

:crazy: With a Vice President like ours: looks seem to having nothing to do with getting shot. :crazy:

http://www.tinylittledots.com/pics/cheneyshots2.jpg

Steve Mullen
10-22-2006, 05:02 PM
That is the single funniest thing i have ever seen on aikiweb

"shhh qwiet im huntin evewything