PDA

View Full Version : New to Aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Sadez
08-17-2006, 01:39 PM
Hello All,

As my user name says, my name is Sadez. I just started Aikido the beginning of August. I've only been to 2 classes, and tonight will be my third class.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Aikido can do for me as far as mentally, physically, and emotionally.
I'm 24 years old, with no real martial arts experience prior to Aikido. So, any suggestions or clues on how to stick with Aikido and how to enjoy everything I can get from it.. would be great.

- Sadez
:ai: :ki: :do:

DevinHammer
08-17-2006, 01:49 PM
Welcome to Aikido, Sadie. Hopefully, you'll soon become an addict like the rest of us. If you stay with it, it will improve every facet of your life. That I can guarantee. All you have to do is show up, and train train train.

RoyK
08-17-2006, 02:58 PM
Hey Sadez, I'm 24 too and started just last year. The nice thing about Aikido is that you don't have to start training when ur 3 years old to reap benefits, and from the older guys at my dojo I see that we'll continue enjoying these benefits for a long time. This Forum really helps realizing what you can gain from Aikido, so you did the right thing coming here.

My advice to you is to find classes that fit your schedule nicely, so you don't have to struggle each time to show up to class. For example, I go there directly from work, so i never have to drag myself and say "ahh, screw class, Starship Troopers is on TV". (Actually, I get to get out of work earlier to get there on time.. I never miss a class :D )

Sadez
08-18-2006, 08:09 AM
My advice to you is to find classes that fit your schedule nicely, so you don't have to struggle each time to show up to class. For example, I go there directly from work, so i never have to drag myself and say "ahh, screw class, Starship Troopers is on TV". (Actually, I get to get out of work earlier to get there on time.. I never miss a class :D )

It was difficult to find a dojo that had classes that fit my time frame. Because I work a little later then normal people. But I have 2 classes a week I can attend at the beginning stages, and then once I get out of basics, I can attend 3 a week.

Unfortunately, I've already missed 3 classes. Not because I didn't want to go. I ended up having some health issues. I was at my second class, and during the forward rolls I ended up getting the most horrible pain in my right abdomin. I ended up in the ER, with everyone thinking I had appendicitis. Fortunately, it was just a ruptured cyst on my ovary. But that's just as painful. I was going to go to last night's class, but it's only been 10days since the rupture. I thought it might be rushing a little bit, and I didn't want to cause anymore damage. So, I'm really looking forward to getting back on Monday.
So, I've had a few setbacks in my training already.. but at this point I'm determined not to give up yet.

Jorge Garcia
08-18-2006, 08:18 AM
The journey will be a challenging one but also a lot of fun, you will meet great people (and maybe a few that aren't) and you will feel better about yourself as you move along.
Best wishes,

RoyK
08-19-2006, 04:31 PM
But I have 2 classes a week I can attend at the beginning stages, and then once I get out of basics, I can attend 3 a week.

Sorry to hear about the cyst incident, but good thing it wasn't something worse! I applaud your insistence, it's not a casual thing, to decide to be dedicated to something before you get to really taste it.

I don't know why they have Basics classes at all. My dojo has them too.. Try to see, perhaps, if you can get out of basics as soon as you feel comfortable with taking falls. I think that while training with experienced people can be intimidating, I'm sure it's much more efficient than training with just fellow beginners.

Sadez
08-20-2006, 08:36 PM
Sorry to hear about the cyst incident, but good thing it wasn't something worse! I applaud your insistence, it's not a casual thing, to decide to be dedicated to something before you get to really taste it.

I don't know why they have Basics classes at all. My dojo has them too.. Try to see, perhaps, if you can get out of basics as soon as you feel comfortable with taking falls. I think that while training with experienced people can be intimidating, I'm sure it's much more efficient than training with just fellow beginners.

I've had a habit of giving up on things before seeing what can happen with them. But for some reason, Aikido feels different.

Our basics class is all the foundational moments. The more advanced students come, along with beginners. So it's nice to practice with students of all levels. The black belts even treat you with a sense of respect in the sense that you are there to learn and help them improve their techinque. And that's one of the most important things :)