PDA

View Full Version : So You Think You Can Dance?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Adam Alexander
07-21-2006, 03:34 PM
Is anyone else keeping up with this?

Wow! I had absolutely no respect for dance. However, with Aikido training giving me some lessons about the body and then seeing what those people are doing...whew! If a serious dancer stepped onto the mat, I'm certain they'd be a technical powerhouse in a couple months.

I have nothing but respect for dance now.

It's too bad Martha went last night. I think she just didn't care so much about the competition anymore. I think she demonstrated that she was much more talented earlier in the show than what she was delivering lately...but was she nice to look at;)

giriasis
07-21-2006, 09:36 PM
I haven't kept up with the show, but we just had a young woman join who has studied ballroom dancing since her mother is a ballroom dancing instructor. She has been picking up things quickly, but she tends to point her toes and move really lightly.

NagaBaba
07-21-2006, 11:02 PM
Dancers learn aikido movements VERY quickly. Unfortunately, they seems to have difficulty to accept Budo element in aikido and they disappear rather quickly too :(

George S. Ledyard
07-22-2006, 12:22 AM
I haven't kept up with the show, but we just had a young woman join who has studied ballroom dancing since her mother is a ballroom dancing instructor. She has been picking up things quickly, but she tends to point her toes and move really lightly.

Dnacers need to move quickly and efficiently so they are "light" on their feet. We need to move as well but we need power to come out of the movement. So we drop our centers and get lower and more grounded while dancers focus on extension and being as light and responsive as possible.

Howver, you can see some dance where the two come together. I went to school with the members of Pilobolus, the modern dance company. They did some awesome stuff which looked like some movements you'd find in contact improv in which a great deal of grounding was required as one dancer might be totally supporting another while rapid movement was taking place. Those folks could ground out like you wouldn't believe but they could be light as a feather when they needed to be as well. They were real masters of movement...

Dajo251
07-22-2006, 02:50 PM
my gf a former dancer and gymnast just started aikido and the foot work is coming to her well enough but that is about it

Qatana
07-22-2006, 10:31 PM
I have been reiterating for the past four years that there is absolutely no difference between Atgentine Tango and aikido, except for the differences.
It really depends on the kind of dancing-tango dancers specifically improvise, never know what's going to happen next and demand presence and awareness of your partner, just like aikido, whereas ballet dancers have a great deal of difficulty dealing with the concept of "down".
I do both.

Don_Modesto
07-22-2006, 10:52 PM
Tomiki used to recommend ballroom dancing to train in aikido.

Dajo251
07-23-2006, 01:29 PM
Tomiki used to recommend ballroom dancing to train in aikido.
the running joke in our school is that we are going to start doing ballroom dancing on sundays......