PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Newbie :)

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Xamien
07-21-2006, 11:42 AM
Konnichiwa!

My name's Chris (middle name) so I typically go by that or by my user name of Xamien (which I'll be changing to legally within the next six months, hopefully). You can even shorten it down to Xam if you want. Anything! Just don't call me late for dinner and certainly not for class at the dojo. ;)
I'm 22 years old and have been doing martial arts since I was about 7 or 8. I guess that makes it about 14 years, give or take, that I've been learning different martial arts either formally from a dojo, or informally from friends to whom I've been very grateful. My formal experiences have been with the American variation on Wado-Ryu Karate with Nippon Kokusai, and the traditional form of Wado-Ryu (along with Shotokan) with the Japan Karate Institute under Dale Coker sensei and his son Bradley sensei. Due to moving around alot and getting busy with life, I'm no longer with the dojo. (and kind of out-of-shape! blyeh) Informally, with friends or from watching other people, I've added pieces to my style from Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu, Judo, Kendo, Bujinkan, Kenpo, Wing Chun, Wushu, Muay Thai, Capoeira, etc... I'm looking to get formal instruction with Pekiti-Tirsia Kali. I know it seems like alot but there's so much that can be learned from the different styles for their different approaches. My interest in MA became a deep love for it and thus became spiritual. We all know this can lead to inner conflicts about the appropriate use of force and certainly to the wish to not have to fight at all. This segues nicely to the fact that I became a Buddhist and took the Refuges roughly four years ago. Then I met a good friend who had been receiving formal teaching in Daito-ryu, who wanted to learn from me and teach me in exchange. Aiki-jujutsu is technically great but the general attitude towards the attacker is something I didn't and still don't like. I'm interested in being injured, certainly, but I also don't want to hurt anyone else. Learning from Aiki-jujutsu and what my friend had to say about Aikido, naturally, I wanted to go Aikido. :) I'm hoping to attend my first class today but I already feel like it's a coming-home for me with the direction of my MA practice.

Hajimemashite!
Xamien

akiy
07-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

RoyK
07-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Here's hoping you'll find in Aikido what you're looking for :)

Bob1970
07-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Hey Brian,
I just started trainign in Aikido myself I am having a blast so far I hope you get the same enjoyment I am gettign from it...

Jorge Garcia
07-21-2006, 03:07 PM
My formal experiences have been with the American variation on Wado-Ryu Karate with Nippon Kokusai, and the traditional form of Wado-Ryu (along with Shotokan) with the Japan Karate Institute.. I've added pieces to my style from Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu, Judo, Kendo, Bujinkan, Kenpo, Wing Chun, Wushu, Muay Thai, Capoeira, etc... I'm looking to get formal instruction with Pekiti-Tirsia Kali
Xamien

Xamein,
Welcome to Aikiweb, From the looks of your resume, I am sure you will find many friends of what I am now calling the "New Aikido" here. The "New Aikido" is Aikido plus everything.
Best wishes,

Xamien
07-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Heya Bob :) Please call me Chris or Xam, I only filled in the Brian because the registration asked for the first name. :P Most of the time I've been called Brian, it's been in negative situations.

Jorge, yes, I've been finding that MMA is quickly becoming the rule of the day throughout many schools. It definitely serves well in finding solutions in varied situations. :) Aside from getting PTK instruction, I'm planning to keep my Aikido practice pure for the sake of the form. I share O-Sensei's same feelings on the subject and am more inclined to do whatever I can to keep violence from occurring or finding the most peaceful solution to stop it.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. :)

Aristeia
07-21-2006, 05:55 PM
Hi Chris
Welcome to Aikiweb
Just a short note for the record - Wado-Ryu Karate with Nippon Kokusai, and the traditional form of Wado-Ryu (along with Shotokan) with the Japan Karate Institute.. I've added pieces to my style from Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu, Judo, Kendo, Bujinkan, Kenpo, Wing Chun, Wushu, Muay Thai, Capoeira, etc... I'm looking to get formal instruction with Pekiti-Tirsia Kal doesn't count as MMA (not sure if that was your implication or just my inference)

Xamien
07-21-2006, 07:38 PM
Not my intention. :) Just saying that I've used those that I listed as basics for forming my own style.

Mike Hamer
07-23-2006, 11:55 PM
Sup Xamien, im a noob too, im 2 months into Aikido, welcome to the family brother.