PDA

View Full Version : daily training

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Jess McDonald
06-30-2006, 09:56 PM
I'm just curious; what do you guys do for your daily training? I usually do weapons first; do katas five or so times and then maybe some drills. As for open hand it's kind of hard to study by yourself but I'll work on my footwork and balance. Just wanted to see how others trained on "non-dojo" days. Thanks!

Jorge Garcia
06-30-2006, 11:33 PM
I'm just curious; what do you guys do for your daily training? I usually do weapons first; do katas five or so times and then maybe some drills. As for open hand it's kind of hard to study by yourself but I'll work on my footwork and balance. Just wanted to see how others trained on "non-dojo" days. Thanks!

I teach 5 days a week so on my "off" days, I rest my body and do the "watching practice" Akira Tohei Shihan used to talk about by watching aikido video tapes - mostly of my teacher.

Lucy Smith
07-01-2006, 06:01 PM
I go to my English class...

sullivanw
07-01-2006, 09:13 PM
I don't do any daily training per se, but I do always try to be aware of how I'm moving and always try to be as centered as possible and extend from that place. I usually end up working some kind of aikido-esque flavor into what I do, like mopping the floors with a rag (we don't have a mop), suwari-waza style. And yes, I do get some odd looks from time to time. :p

-Will

dps
07-01-2006, 10:04 PM
One time I had a job working midnights stocking shelves at a large grocery store. To stock and block the bottom two shelves I would knee walk up and down the aisles as I worked. :)

Jess McDonald
07-01-2006, 11:14 PM
Hey David that's a good idea! I too work at a grocery store and shall eagerly exploit the opportunity to knee-walk! Does anyone else find knee walking painful at times?

dps
07-01-2006, 11:46 PM
Hey David that's a good idea! I too work at a grocery store and shall eagerly exploit the opportunity to knee-walk! Does anyone else find knee walking painful at times?

I recommend wearing loose fitting pants like your gi pants. I actually had a pair black karate pants with the elastic waistband that worked for me and a very good pair of knee pads.
Good Luck