PDA

View Full Version : sufism and aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

jeff.
06-18-2006, 05:01 PM
sooo...

i've gotten very interested in sufism the last few years. to the point now that i'm seriously seeking entrance into a sufi order. naturally, i'm also very interested in the spiritual side of aikido (as was as the practical, martial side... i don't think they can really be separated -- call it omote and ura :) ). sooooo... i'm curious if there is anyone else out there who's practices both, has practiced both, is intersted in practicing both, etc.

interested in hearing opinions, experiences, ideas, etc. even (or perhaps esp) in regards to comparing and contrasting practices, concepts, etc. (such as ruh / nafs in sufism and kon / haku in osensei's thought; or hu in sufism and su in osensei's thought). i'm a giant nerd.

and heck, while we're at it: i'd be interested in hearing about the thoughts and experiences of anyone out there who practices mysticism from any faith and how it mixes with and/or effects their aikido practice (again, with fun references to similar concepts, etc.)

yours in comparative philosophies / religions / mysticism / mythology nerdiness,

jeff.

Aikiscott
06-18-2006, 05:30 PM
I personally have not had any experiance with Sufi-sim, but we have had a student in the past who also practiced Sufi. She originaly had doubts that the two would mix well, but after talking with her Sufi teacher who incouraged her to continue in Aikido as they were different paths to the same destination.
If I can I will get her to try to post her experiance here.

kocakb
06-19-2006, 12:04 AM
"Different paths to the same destination.", that is true. It is exiting to see that, some thoughts of O'Sensei is very simillar to Mevlana. Especially becoming one with the universe...
And, in Islamic Sufism, the circular motion-sema: the fundamental condition of our existence is to revolve. There is no object, no being which does not revolve...an circular movement in aikido...
The difference is the martial side of aikido...in sufism, there is no enemy-attacker from the beginning on and in aikido, there will be no enemy at the end :)

billybob
06-19-2006, 11:47 AM
In the open discussion there is a thread called 'Islam is Peace', that I started in honor of a man from Turkey I studied aikido with at the U. South Florida. His background was in Sufism. I've read the Koran, without benefit of an Imam, out of personal interest. I read a little of the writings of the Sufis and found it both wonderful and familiar.

david

BWells
06-19-2006, 02:17 PM
For sufism and aikido you might check out Dr Robert Frager. He is I think a 6th Dan, a Harvard educated psychologist and a Sheikh in the Halveti-Jerrahi Sufi Order. I've not practiced Sufism with him but have attended an aikido seminar taught by him. His aikido is a joy to feel.

Here is a url with more about him.

http://www.spiritualityandpractice.com/teachers/teachers.php?id=254&g=

Thanks
Bruce Wells