PDA

View Full Version : thinking about taking aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

JesseGraves
05-29-2006, 05:36 PM
hello ive been thinking about takin aikido for awhile now. but ive been readin alot of rather bad things about aikido and how its not practical.and how the training is ''dead'' ive been split on judo or aikido but i like the way aikido looks. i would really like to look into tomiki (i hope i spelled that right) but theres no where in my city

ESimmons
05-29-2006, 06:25 PM
I recommend contacting whatever dojo is nearest you and scheduling a visit. Affiliation may be of less consequence than you suspect; besides, an outsider cannot be expected to effectively discern which style of aikido among the myriad of styles best suits him/her without actually getting some experience in.

While judo doesn't seem to be the target of as much criticism as aikido, it seems to operate on similar principles and isn't in the upper echelon of street-efficient martial arts. If your choice is between the two, I think you should pursue which art you find more interesting, which seems to be aikido.

Good luck.

JesseGraves
05-29-2006, 06:46 PM
thanks alot eric for being the only one to respond

mathewjgano
05-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Yeah, getting a taste is about the best thing I can think of. Without knowing what you want to get out of it, it's hard to make recommendations (which I assume is why you're posting here). Most of my experience is in a different style, but I've just begun Shodokan (Tomiki ryu) and I certainly like it. They're like two different kinds of candy: both are sweet but with different flavors.
In my limited opinion, if you're looking for practical self-defense it depends more upon the teacher than the style. Aikido does teach many important principles, and you often learn how to "fall" without hurting yourself, which has come in handy for me playing sports, among other things, but you might find another approach suits you better...you never know until you give it a try.
I think it's important to check around a bit before committing to any particular school. There are many very open-minded people out there, but obviously each of us is doing what we think suits us best, and some people think what they do is the best way to do it, period. Experience as many different "flavors" as possible before handing over your hard-earned cash.
Best of luck,
Matt

Dajo251
05-29-2006, 08:00 PM
So where are you planning on taking aikido? out for a nice candle lit dinner with soft music? sorry I couldnt resist.....

JesseGraves
05-29-2006, 08:06 PM
well the place ive been lookin at is www.aikidojo.com seems to be a very nice lookin dojo. and my main reason for wanting to get into martial arts is that i want a hobby and ive always wated to do it. but my parents would never let me. but now im an adult lol

JesseGraves
05-29-2006, 08:09 PM
i like the idea of judo because i kinda like the idea of tournaments. but i really like aikido because of the spiritual aspect of it. and the throws look real nice lol. but the only dojo in my area is all anti tournament which isnt a deal breaker but, it would be nice to use the aikido in a real life excercise

dps
05-29-2006, 08:36 PM
hi Jesse,

I know Shodokan Aikido (Tomiki) has competition. I think Yoshinkan also does. Any Aikido is better than no Aikido.
Below is a link you might find interesting reading.
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10209&highlight=month

Good Luck
David

Dajo251
05-29-2006, 09:22 PM
Wow that does look like a beautiful dojo...

JesseGraves
05-29-2006, 09:56 PM
yeah i love the traditional look to the dojo the others ive seen look nothing like this place.

SeiserL
05-30-2006, 09:33 AM
IMHO, "practical" is in the individual's ability to apply it.
Aikido works just fine for me.
If you like the looks, you'll love the training.

aikidoc
05-30-2006, 09:40 AM
Jesse. ASU is a good solid organization and it appears the dojo you looked at has a wide variety of available classes with several instructors.

True, except for Tomiki and Ki Society, aikido does not have tournaments or competitions. However, I think you'll find with aikido your biggest competition will be with yourself. The struggle for constant and never ending improvement and refinement of your technique is ongoing and never ending.

JesseGraves
05-30-2006, 11:22 AM
thanks alot guys

mickeygelum
05-30-2006, 12:24 PM
If you are looking for practical/street application...Shodokan/Ki society is the way to go...

If you are looking for technical/theoretical application...ASU or USAF is ideal...

Just keep focused...you only get out of it, what you put into it....

Where are you located, if I may ask?

Miku-san

JesseGraves
05-30-2006, 03:48 PM
im in louisville kentucky, from what ive found there are only two aikido dojos in this city and one of them just kinda rents space from local judo dojo

Qatana
05-30-2006, 04:13 PM
nothing wrong with a dojo that rents space from another school. My dojo is in a ballet school. As much as I would love to train in a beautiful Japanese style dojo with a real kamiza and dressing rooms and a permanent mat, I think my sensei is worth training with wherever he finds a floor to put down the mats.

Neal Earhart
05-30-2006, 04:36 PM
Not sure if you've checked them out. But, here are two Aikido dojos in Louisville, which are part of the United States Aikido Federation:

http://uoflaikido.com/news.php
http://www.okolonaaikido.org/

No tournaments, however.

Guilty Spark
05-30-2006, 10:25 PM
i like the idea of judo because i kinda like the idea of tournaments. but i really like aikido because of the spiritual aspect of it

You don't need to physically do aikido to practice it spiritually.

If you can't decide which to take then take both.

Lyle Bogin
05-31-2006, 06:12 AM
If you are young, healthy, and want to learn how to tussle, start with judo. Aikido is always out there, waiting...

I would try both and see which feels more satisfying immediately if this is your first martial art.

JesseGraves
05-31-2006, 07:00 AM
well i am kinda young (21) but ii dont know about being soo healthy. one of the reason to get into martial arts as a work out lol i used to wrestle in high school and i was told that i could kinda incorporate that into judo. anyone ever hear something similar to that? but i also heard it doesnt matter the body type in aikido. in the last few days im startin to really lean torward aikido. reason the aikido dojo ive been loookin at is totally beautiful and aikido lessons are alot cheaper :)

Guilty Spark
05-31-2006, 10:21 AM
In our dojo we've found younger guys don't stay too long. Aikido may seem a little slow for you my friend. Theres no punching or kicking. Younger people seem drawn to that (me for example doing taekwondo).
If you try out aikido and don't like it don't feel bad, it's not for everyone. You can always quit and try out another martial art or come back to aikido later on.

While it may not seem like it I can promise you aikido is tough. You'll get a work out. Some of the stances you will be in your body totally won't be used to and it's gonna sting. You'll flip and roll around the dojo so much when you stand up you'll see stars and be dizzy. I love aikido and i'll be doing it for the rest of my life. I'm going to tinker with getting back into taekwondo and playing with a few martial arts like judo & Capoeira.
Rule #1, have fun. The biggest step is getting into the dojo and taking your first class.

Dajo251
05-31-2006, 10:48 AM
Im 21 too, I started aikido when I was 12, I stopped when I was 14 and I came back about 6 months, ago, once aikido gets in your blood, you can never get it out

DonMagee
05-31-2006, 11:22 AM
Wrestling will help you a lot in judo. In fact you will find a lot of it applicable to throwing defenses and ground work. I say try them both and see what you like. I started with aikido and eventually moved to judo (although I still train in aikido). I love the hard randori (sparing) that comes with judo. A lot of people move the other way as well. Judo will complient any martial art you train in.