PDA

View Full Version : Firefly/Serenity

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Dajo251
04-13-2006, 12:03 AM
Just wondering if there were any aikidoka scifi nerds who did firefly and serenity out there

Yann Golanski
04-13-2006, 03:26 AM
Depending what you mean by "did"... Yeah, watched the TV show in 2001 and enjoyed it a lot. Way better than most TV of the time.

For those who have not seen any of it and enjoy good intelligent SciFi, get the DVD. You won't regret it.

Taliesin
04-13-2006, 03:37 AM
Seconded

Dajo251
04-13-2006, 10:35 AM
opps I ment to say *dig* not did

Neil Mick
04-13-2006, 11:22 AM
Lol. At a recent circle right after class, I made an announcement. "I'm sure you all know this and have marked the calendar for this day, but just in case: the local movie theatre is showing Serenity and 8 episodes of Firefly, for it's midnight marathon. So, bring your pillows, and Sunday class starts 1/2 after the marathon. See you there!"

I expected ppl to look at me funny, but most of them exclaimed what a good series it was...and which moviehouse was that, again,,,? :)

Bronson
04-13-2006, 12:33 PM
I've watched both the series and the movie several times. Very well written, intelligent, sci-fi. I've also confirmed my severe nerdiness by playing the "Serenity" role-playing game :eek:

Bronson

Koren Ko
04-13-2006, 12:55 PM
I had heard of the Firefly and watched the Serenity.

Somehow, I dun feel interesting at all. Does the Firefly series came out before the movie or vice versa?

The opening of the Serenity impress me. But, feel pathetic when the rob bank-the things rope down-car chasing scene came.
No doubt, the fighting scene looked great and slow pace in some parts.
But the setting of the world gimme an on-par with Stargate series...Which had built up a huge logical loopholes and capability of a extremely small alien(human) world population to prolific and survive.
Won't it be atleast minimum 10,000 in a single planet to ensure genetic richness? (In this case, I rarely see a lot of PEOPLE in Serenity)

I am not really have the answer. Anyone please tell me?

Btw, fellow friend Bronson Diffin, can you point some example to say it is a good series?

Thanks! :)

cck
04-13-2006, 04:06 PM
We're just waiting for the last DVD now, and are really looking forward to it but also dreading it - I can't believe they didn't make any more of these! The characters are great, the setting is great - frontiers Western style. "I am a leaf..."

giriasis
04-13-2006, 07:01 PM
Koren Ko,

Firefly came first.

I love scifi and enjoy: Star Wars, Star Trek, StarGate, and Battlestar Galatica (TNS!). Firefly, too!

Neil Mick
04-14-2006, 04:58 AM
Koren Ko,

Firefly came first.

I love scifi and enjoy: Star Wars, Star Trek, StarGate, and Battlestar Galatica (TNS!). Firefly, too!

...and don't forget Farscape...sheesh....yeah, I'm a sci-fi addict, too (hi, Neil: welcome...have a donut). :)

Mark Uttech
04-14-2006, 06:57 AM
I can't say I am aware of this "firefly" business. I am, more or less a "twilight zone" fan and have just gotten ahold of a 37 episode dvd of Rod Serling's classics

Dajo251
04-14-2006, 08:23 AM
We're just waiting for the last DVD now, and are really looking forward to it but also dreading it - I can't believe they didn't make any more of these! The characters are great, the setting is great - frontiers Western style. "I am a leaf..."
yeah, its sad that the series just kinda ended....real sad

Lorien Lowe
04-14-2006, 02:03 PM
Haven't seen the movie yet, but saw all of the episodes and really enjoyed them. I think it's a terrible pity that it was canceled after such a short run. It's far better than the vast majority of tv programming these days ...if there was more stuff like Firefly, I might even get a tv again. As it stands, there's no point.

-LK

jeff.
04-15-2006, 03:32 PM
its just about the only show worth talking about. seriously. joss whedon is, of course, a genius. (heck, aikido even got some props in an episode of buffy.)

but yeah... firefly, firefly... there my heart doth rest. :)

and the movie was amazing. yes.

Dajo251
04-15-2006, 05:30 PM
oddly enough I remeber that episode of buffy, I rember laughing at when the guy said aikido....

Koren Ko
04-16-2006, 07:43 AM
...and don't forget Farscape...sheesh....yeah, I'm a sci-fi addict, too (hi, Neil: welcome...have a donut). :)

Yup! Dun forget Farscape! Too bad I dun have a chance to watch the full show, save the 1st season.

It created several supernovas (Ben Browder, Claudia Black)and now they are in Stargate SG-1 season 10! :D

Personally, I prefer the Farscape better than Babylon5 and Stargate SG-1 series. Well, this aussie lad did really make a good script and I see far more investments (in prop, CGs, ship and world designs, more not so humanoid alien skin badass, etc etcs)by the producer to make the Farscape world more real and extensive...logical. :blush: Hahaha, atleast it tells you the basic color TV set projection theory in conjuction of its apllication in hyperjump.

(Hey, Neil, need a nail? Have some coffee too! :p )

giriasis
04-16-2006, 05:49 PM
I never got too much into Baylon 5 or Farscape. But right now I'm really hooked on Battlestar Galatica. Starbuck rocks and in one show there was a semi-kaitennage but Dualla threw Apollo on his back...(I digress...I love seeing strong female roles of all varieties.) I'm just bummed to have to wait until October for the 3rd Season. I'm usually all Miss Hopeful being a Star Wars fan, but the grittyness and real-world issues of BSG really has struck a cord with me. I love it that it's not your typical SciFi with all bunch of fancy gadgets saving the day. (Not that I don't love fancy gadgets -- a lightsaber is my fave.) And, you deal with the thought-provoking issues that we face today -- terrorism, torture, rape, the right of survival, etc.

maikerus
04-16-2006, 10:09 PM
Firefly and Serenity are great...

...and I heard a rumour that Nathan Fillion (Mal) might be the new Indiana Jones. Before hearing that I wasn't able to imagine anyone else in that role...but he'd be perfect.

cheers,

--Michael

Also liking (in no particular order other than ReGenesis comes first :) ): ReGenesis, 24, Stargate Atlantis, Threshold, Medium, Ghost Whisperer, Prison Break, Lost, The Unit (cancelled: FarScape, Star Trek Enterprise, Firefly)

Neil Mick
04-17-2006, 09:57 PM
*worries that there are so many sci-fi Aikidoists, out there...perhaps some sort of plot to take over the dojo...?

Invasion of the Body Snatchers, anyone...?

*looks at self in mirror...realizes that I'm already one of them... :eek: :hypno:

P.S. And, my 2cents on Stargate...wooden acting, predictable (as in, saw it coming, within 5min of the opening) plots, cardboard characters: but the story arcs are certainly interesting.

And, Claudia Black rocks!

P.S.S. And yes: BSG is great...I agreed with everything you said about it. My one problem with the show is the character of the "terrorist:" does he have be so 1-dimensional? lol

giriasis
04-17-2006, 11:16 PM
P.S.S. And yes: BSG is great...I agreed with everything you said about it. My one problem with the show is the character of the "terrorist:" does he have be so 1-dimensional? lol

But, they had to come up with a role for the original Apollo. It's so great to see him in this series. I wish the original Starbuck was there, too, but he still has an ax to grind against the new series. Apparently, he's still upset that his character was changed to a female character. Poor guy.

Yes, wooden acting -- but you're talking to a Star Wars fan, here. I LOVE my wooden acting. ;)

Jory Boling
04-19-2006, 06:55 PM
i digdug it.

Koren Ko
04-21-2006, 10:16 AM
But, they had to come up with a role for the original Apollo. It's so great to see him in this series. I wish the original Starbuck was there, too, but he still has an ax to grind against the new series. Apparently, he's still upset that his character was changed to a female character. Poor guy.

Yes, wooden acting -- but you're talking to a Star Wars fan, here. I LOVE my wooden acting. ;)

Speaking of Apollo...I dug up an intro guide of "Great Books/Novels/Mangas/Movie/Series of the year" from library.

BSG 1978 was only ran for short period. However, many similarities and scenes was found between Starwars. :D Also, its the 1st Sci-fi which had a LOT of different ships in it.(Hence, influence how other following Space Sci-fi ships of other wordl should be. Alot and Vary)

Let the poor old Apollo roar, I like the new BSG better. I prefer that we view new BSG as alternate and hence successful debut of original BSG.

Steve Morabito
05-02-2006, 07:53 AM
I hesitate to get into new shows on Scifi these days. You watch and grow to love shows like Firefly and Farscape, and then they cancel them. I guess they wind up making money on the DVDs afterwards. By the way, the Firefly DVD commentaries are great. (Farscape too). It's amazing what shows get the ratings these days; like Wife Swap...now that's horrendous. And how many more times can we possibly stand to watch 16 people supposedly 'stranded' to see who will be the next "Survivor"?
That was a rant. Thanks for listening.
Steve

david evans
05-02-2006, 08:07 AM
It's about time we had some good dramatic fiction. I really enjoyed the storyline, characterisation, and of course, the western sci-fi setting.

Thoroughly enjoyable!

David.

Yann Golanski
05-02-2006, 10:13 AM
And how many more times can we possibly stand to watch 16 people supposedly 'stranded' to see who will be the next "Survivor"?
Steve

You know, I think those shows would be greatly enhanced if we allowed them to yield real weapons.

Anyone see "Battle Royal"?...

Koren Ko
05-05-2006, 02:42 PM
You know, I think those shows would be greatly enhanced if we allowed them to yield real weapons.

Anyone see "Battle Royal"?...

Oh my god...

You intend to become a true Roman Citizen, do you? :freaky:

LoL, those ancient romanians are really bloodthirsty, "barbaric" Civilised people whom just love to have the gladiator fight each other to death with all the high drama, tears, guts, hardcore emotion spurred out like blood-splash as if the "Battle Royal" :crazy:

Talking about the True Entertainment :hypno:

Well, no offense, Its just that your quoting of "Battle Royal" and "The Survivor" have a strange effect on my first thought. :rolleyes:

Jerry Miller
05-07-2006, 11:51 PM
I loved Farscape when it was on. BSG is fun and they are showing the new Dr Who in the states now, great fun that is. I did not see firefly when it was a series. I discovered it on Netflix and watched the whole season. Serenity would be better if you watched the firefly series.

Lan Powers
05-08-2006, 10:45 PM
Saw the movie Serenity, then got into the series after....I just bought the set the other day.
Most of the time I won't even go to the trouble to check out the shows on air since so much is drivel.
Firefly was great, and would have developed soooooo much more with the characters over time.
Pity

Neil Mick
05-08-2006, 11:37 PM
Also liking ReGenesis

I gotta say, thanks for the recommendation.

On your advice I watched the whole 1st and 2nd (so far) seasons...a very intelligent show!

But it could easily slip into formula...