PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

mcooper_75044
04-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Hello to everyone. My initial intent here was to try and find
anyone or links with help dealing with injuries related to aikido.
I am currently nursing a sore heal. Diagnosed as Plantar faciatis.
I am dreading having to give up my training and was curious if others have encountered this problem and if so how they had resolved it to continue practicing bare-footed.

Anyway greetings to fellow Aikidoist.

Mark

akiy
04-11-2006, 12:31 PM
Hi Mark,

Welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

Bronson
04-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Hey Mark, welcome to AikiWeb.

Good luck with the foot. I'm currently battling foot pain myself, but mine is mostly in my toes. Unfortunately I think my limping gait is starting to produce fasciaitis also :( I haven't found anything that really helps yet. The two podiatrists I've seen haven't been able to come up with a treatment that doesn't make it worse. It's been recommended by a physical therapist and a couple of certified athletic trainers that I know that I should consult an orthpedic surgeon... luckily I know one of those too :D If you can swing it maybe this is a direction you could try. Other than that the only things that have helped at all have been better shoes and acupuncture.

Good luck.

Bronson

mcooper_75044
04-11-2006, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the information. Surgery scares me I've seen too many
posts at a jogging site that indicates a really long recovery to
Plantar surgery. Acupunture I hadn't thought of but will consult
with a friend.

regards. :)

Michael O'Brien
04-11-2006, 04:25 PM
Hi Mark,

Welcome to AikiWeb from Nashville, Tn. The search engine is extensive and the forums contain a vast amount of knowledge. If you do a couple of searches you might find a forum with information regarding your foot problems.

Good luck.

Bronson
04-13-2006, 11:13 AM
I'm not a big fan of the surgery option either. I always assumed that being referred to an orthopedic surgeon meant another doctor felt that surgery may be needed. I've recently found out that many people go straight to the orthopedic surgeon for pain evaluation and good surgeons will still try therapy and other means before resorting to cutting.

Bronson

Mark Mueller
04-13-2006, 11:21 AM
Bronson,

Who does your acupuncture?

Mark

mcooper_75044
04-14-2006, 09:27 AM
I havent tried the Acupuncture yet but I have several people I know that have used one and thought that I could locate one easily.

From what I've read though Acupuncture in this situation might not
be any better than Steroid shot. Both make the pain go away
but neither do anything to actually heal the injury.

Currenlty I'm just using the night splint, orthotics in the shoe during the days, never barefoot at all and absolutely no breakfalls(which sucks). Forward rolls I'm slowing down to lessen impacts to the foot.
My only regret in life, having not started this when I was in my
20's. oh well. perhaps in the next lifetime. :)