PDA

View Full Version : Forward and back rolls

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

steveb
04-03-2006, 09:13 AM
Help me please?

I guess this has been asked before and has been covered on another thread and I truely have searched. But in every thread, dvd or video clip, they are mostly the same.

My knees are killing me when i do the forward and backward roll. To be precise, its the inside of my knees.
Is this something im doing wrong or just time will tell? I understand that its so difficult to explain on here but here goes.

In forward roll, my leg is underneath me as i come to stand up. Kind of cross legged? And the same for backward ones. I thought that i had just twisted it or put too much pressure on the knee joint but after a week, its still twinges!!

Im really sorry this is such a bad way to describe it but cant think of another way.

Any tips or help. Even if im doing it wrong, tell me!!!

Thanks.
Steve

akiy
04-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Hi Steve,

What feedback on your rolling has your instructor or senior students at your dojo given you regarding the issues that you are having?

-- Jun

Kyu Keith
04-04-2006, 08:16 PM
What they have us do when we start doing rolls or just want some basic practise is start on your knees with either your right leg up and the left leg supporting you if your going to the right and opposite if you going to the left.They then tell us that when you do a standing foward roll that its realy helpfull if you land in that possion because its easy to get up from and it dosn't hurt as much.It works for us though I'm not saying it works for everyone, If you want give it a try if anything it gives a good sense of practise.

Qatana
04-04-2006, 08:28 PM
Maybe you're trying to pull yourself up with the front leg instead of pushing up with the back leg? Also helps to turn your back toes under to help push.