PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen V for Vendetta?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Michael Varin
03-18-2006, 08:04 PM
I saw it today. Some parts were better than others, but overall I liked it.

I'm curious. What did you think about the movie? The messege?

Michael

Neil Mick
03-18-2006, 11:36 PM
Funny you mentioned it. Just got through an extended class today (dan-exam's)...several of the people were off to see it.

Haven't seen it, yet. I will, soon (tomorrow...?)

Mark Uttech
03-19-2006, 05:35 AM
There is something called 'mob action' or 'mass hysteria' or 'group stupidity'. In each of those examples, somebody does something because everyone is doing it. In America, marketing is about getting everyone to do it. "Star Wars" is one example. "Jurassic Park" is another. "Lord of the Rings" is yet another. The reviews for "V for Vendatta" basically address it as a movie that didn't need to be made. There are a lot of those.

ChrisHein
03-19-2006, 10:44 AM
I don't know if the movie is about mob action so much as dictatorships, oligarchies and over bearing governments. People were doing things because they were told to do them by an overly powerful figurehead who dictated to the people what to do, when to do it, and why they wanted to do it. I don't think the movie was about mob action, but instead about allowing your government to take over too much of your life, and how this can lead to our own destruction.

-Chris Hein

Patrick Crane
03-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Pretty good movie, excellent message ("Wake up Americans!!"), might have been a classic if not for Padme, ahem, I mean Portman. Couldn't they have found ANYONE else?

Michael Varin
03-19-2006, 04:57 PM
I didn't like Portman either. She just doesn't bring that much to the table.

Two things that I don't think will ruin the movie for those who haven't seen it:
1. The idea that the blame for how things are falls on OUR shoulders not 'theirs,' politicians or whoever; that apathy is not satisfactory.
2. The character V says, People should not fear their governments. Governments should fear their people. This is absolutely true, but within the context of the movie I think it's easy to equate that with violent revolution. I think people need to realize that that "fear" can be achieved by holding politicians and government agencies accountable. If they lie, if they don't act in the best interest of the people even once -- vote the bums out. Don't be misled by their slight of hand. Educate yourself. Vote for a third party if need be. Until we send a clear message we will just get more of the same.

Michael

Taliesin
03-20-2006, 03:06 AM
Just saw it yesterday. From my viewpoint there were lots of points.

1. How atrocities can be exploited by those in power to gain more and more power ("The power of
nightmares" scenario).

2. How it takes the our co-operation or silence for them to gain that power. ("All that is necessary
for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing")

3. What can happen once they have that power.

It also shows what can happen afterward.

It also has huge resonance with USA and the UK today - since it's only one or two stops further down the line from where we are.

Dajo251
03-20-2006, 12:55 PM
well I was supposed to go see it friday but my girlfriend got sick....oh well

Patrick Crane
03-20-2006, 02:34 PM
I didn't like Portman either. She just doesn't bring that much to the table.

She's got a psych degree from Harvard, but her ability to capture and convey emotion is about as inspirational as a used freshman text book.
....And I'm fairly easily impressed.
Milla Jovovich can do it better, when she's not trying to be a female Jet Li.
Cameron Diaz can do it even better, if she ever feels like working again????????
Dakota Fanning can do it better than anyone I've EVER seen. Ten years older and she'd have been perfect for the part in "V"......hell, in ten years she will absolutely rule Hollywood; assuming she can tolerate us mere mortals.

Bronson
03-23-2006, 12:10 PM
Haven't seen it yet but I read the comics years ago and really liked them.

Check out the comics or graphic novel (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0930289528/qid=1143140940/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-4984137-6889430?s=books&v=glance&n=283155) and if you like that check out The Watchmen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0930289234/sr=8-1/qid=1143140511/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-4984137-6889430?%5Fencoding=UTF8) graphic novel. Excellent stuff.

Bronson

Thalib
03-24-2006, 07:37 PM
V is an interesting character... he is not exactly a hero... maybe an anti-hero. He has a selfish reason for doing all of this: vengeance. After the movie, I kept thinking that V is only doing what he's doing for his own pleasure, but why do I regard him as the hero.

V spoke the truth, even in lies he spoke the truth, unlike the politicians portrayed in the movie. Propaganda everywhere, lies used to give the illusion that the government is protecting their own people. Feeding their own people 'bollocks' (Is this how the word is spelled), in order to show that they need the government in order to continue on their way of life. What way of life? The life that the government said you should have. Many of the criticisms in the movie parallel the real situation of the world today. Or if not, what it is going to be.

V is a likeable character. Playful, yet very determined. A man with principle, full of ideas and character. V's theatrics is what makes him unique than other movie characters. Hugo Weaving had done an excellent job in portraying him.

There were many stories like Farenheit 451, Equilibrium, Gattaca, and so on that discusses the situation of orderly societies governed by oppressive systems only to find that their best citizens actually turned into rebels or actually were already rebels in the first place. V, however, is a bit different.

I like V, because he no longer has an actual identity or maybe who he is do not really matter any longer. In his insanity, he sees himself as the voice of the people, of the oppressed. The voice that longs to speak out but can't because of the current situation. In a way, he's right.

I can't deny that V is demented, but in the world that he lives in, he might be the only sane person left.

Dajo251
03-25-2006, 07:35 PM
I just saw this movie and was blown away(no pun intended)

Neil Mick
03-27-2006, 05:26 AM
Firstly, a bow to Jun, for these new spoiler's. They're MADE for film reviews...spoiler's ROCK.

OK, I finally got to see this film. My verdict?

3 stars (outta five). Interesting, thought-provoking. Unlike several ppl here, I liked Natalie Portman. The film essentially revolved around her character. The way to determine the protagonist is who does the plot revolve around...? Not V: V is a major supporting player.

Now then.

Before I saw this film, I did not read the graphic novel. I saw a preview once or twice, never read any reviews (except for a few, here). I listened to a few friends' testimony, but that was it.

In sum, I really liked this film, because it's thought-provoking. Not because of its silly, cartoonish parallel's to W's regime...no. I liked it because the film concerned itself more with Natalie Portman's metaphysical growth, than with V's silly vendetta's. The fact that V even died before the end, is a major break from most Hollywood film's in which the hero NEVER dies. Even his death was more of a build-up for Portman, than a meditation upon his life. At the end, his body was merely a prop, for Portman.

The problem with the film, IMO, lay with the plot. First, the film was doing well with V "striking a blow for the ppl, in memory of Guy Fawkes...then suddenly, he shifts from Guy Fawkes to V's personal vendetta's. This unstable shift hobbles the film, and never gets resolved. The film wobbles along toward the end, not knowing which character to focus...V, or Portman. If the film had focused upon Portman's character's personal struggles alone, that would have saved the film (and made it much better). Instead, we're left with a patched-up feeling of a stagy and artificial mass demonstration of the crowd with V-masks on...dramatic, yet feeling somehow hollow.

We live in dark times. People are unjustly tortured; an illegal occupation is ongoing; it seems as if the whole gov't is being overrun by Neoliberal extremist whacko's (no offence to the NeoLiberalist extremists out there, reading this). IMO, the film fenced well with lofty topics that are important to these times, but he fell flat whenever he brought "the people" or "la resistance" into the picture. Stephen Fry's parody of "the High Minister" couldn't even match a Jon Stewart show, on a bad day.

As someone who has had to face down armoured personnel vehicles, helicopters, motorcycle cops and cops on horses: I find the director's timidity toward the mechanism and power of popular protest naive, and a little disappointing. In sum, it was a good effort, but he could have done better.

P.S. And, they could also have used a few more knife-fights (but that's the martial artist in me, talking ;) ).

Yann Golanski
03-28-2006, 01:45 AM
Go read the graphic novel. It's very good indeed. The film was a good adaptation of the comic book which was no mean feat.

deepsoup
03-28-2006, 08:27 AM
The film was a good adaptation of the comic book which was no mean feat.
Alan Moore doesn't seem to think so, he *hates* the film.

I expect he'll be even more depressed when the movie version of the Watchmen comes out, but maybe the big pile of cash will help that. :)

Yann Golanski
03-28-2006, 09:01 AM
Alan Moore doesn't seem to think so, he *hates* the film.

Alan Moore hates everything and everyone. Success has gone to his head like oh Lucas anyone?...

Anyways, I thought the film was an interesting take on (ie an interpretation of) the story of V from the comics. It is a good adaptation of the story (in my not so humble opinion) and is worth watching for that reason. It's the Wachowski take on the comic.

I think the comic is better. It has more time and space to show what it wants. Hence my comment that everyone who saw the film read the comic.

I expect he'll be even more depressed when the movie version of the Watchmen comes out, but maybe the big pile of cash will help that. :)

To parapharase Neil Gaiman: The book is safe between its cover. Don't worry about the film sucking. There book will still be there.

deepsoup
03-28-2006, 02:41 PM
To parapharase Neil Gaiman: The book is safe between its cover. Don't worry about the film sucking. There book will still be there.

Well, I've seen "Constantine" - if anyone should know about having their book made into a film that sucks, he's the guy. :)

I do think you're being a bit hard on Alan Moore though.

Bronson
03-28-2006, 05:29 PM
I thought I had heard that The Watchmen project got tanked. Part of me wants it made into a movie and part of me doesn't.

Bronson

Yann Golanski
03-29-2006, 01:23 AM
Sean, the quote I believe refered to The Sandman movie with such classy plot as Dream fighting his brother Nightmare while LA is being ripped apart by earthquakes and such classy lines as "fear me mortal for I am Dream, the lord of Dreams"... I kid you not.

Watchmen cannot be made into a film. It will suck. You could take the same story and themes and remix them (kind of what Hell Boy did -- yes, I liked the film lots and the comics lots). However, Watchmen could be done as a 12 part TV series. It'll be __really__ expensive to make and would not re-cover its costs ever but it would be cool. Then, they'll have the time to do it justice. Say, Aaron Sorkin and Joss Wheeden as script writers, Micheal Mann as director, Oh yeah.... I like that. Shame it's a fantasy.